Back to Home Page

Back to the building log

 Building the Rudder Cassettes For a "Kick-up System"
   I had previously cut out the section for the casstte and stowed it away while I built the surrounding transom sections. The section cut out was composed only of the floor and transom. I had shaped 9mm marine ply for the sides of the cassettes and the voids sections and laminated them with 450 DB outside and 200 woven cloth inside. The front piece of 9mm ply I left unlaminated for now. The adjoining aft deck area is covered in this page and is shown in unfinished state in this photo. The deck section for the cassette is shown at left with a couple sticks across it so I can set the section even with the other portions of the aft deck. The under side of the cassette is supported by a stand at the position desired. Keeping in mind that a 10 mm or so gap on the sides is needed to allow for further work and filler. I went my own way on the dimensions of the cassettes. They are slightly wider and tapered.
   Here I have the deck section taped in along with one side and the front piece of ply. I have used treated pine for void connecters. They are screwed and glued here. Not visible in the pic, I have laminated the inside surface of the ply.
   Now I have cut the holes for the composite rudder tubes.
   The rudder tubes were cut short so to make them work I inserted my rudder stocks inside to align and then extended with a piece of PVC pipe. Then wrap the whole thing with many layers of 450 db tape and epoxy. Finger indicates the joint.
   I made the extensions overlength to allow trimming to fit. I originally figured on leaving the extended top to the front piece of ply provide for support for the pivot braces (yet to come) but later realised it would make a fairing nightmare and really unnecessary.
   another view...
   Now the tubes have been taped in with the 750 gr tri-ax. Massive double layer and plenty of bog. The treated pine has been taped in place leaving only the upper face uncovered and ready for gluing to the remaining side panel. Also an additional coat of resin to seal everything.
   Here you can see the taping done to the timber and the facing edge is coated with glue mix with a little extra on the inside edge.
   Now the sides are all in place and I have fabricated the pivoting braces and set them in place. One of the rudder stocks is trimmed to proper hieght. One of the ply pieces had a little bend in it so use the metal bracing strap to pull it back to straight.
   sanding and prepping for taping all around and the pivots. I have already taped the pivots on the inside and cut away the excess ply.
   I will used the heavy tape for securing the pivots on the outisde. Instead of using tape on the ply, I just cut a piece of 450 DB glass and covered the whole thing and around the edges so using the bigger piece as laminate and tape combined.
   Filling the gaps forcefully, carefully...
   Then using my palm to smooth over the edge....
   Then the spatula to clean off from the flat surfaces... I like to do this because it helps to fair the edge and prevent air from developing under a sharp corner. And if there is a rough spot in the edge it fills it.
   I cut a piece of 450DB tape for the entire circumferance plus a bit... pre wet..
   The little cotton threads can be a pain in the ass.. rather pull them off on the table then on the work.
   and lay it on...
   all around, even it out...
   Previously I had put a small cut in the corners which was dumb. This stuff can contort to quite a varierty of shapes and here I take advantage of that. working in by hand and then..
  Go over with a wet roller...
   And consolidate. When the epoxy is firmng up mix a bit of bog and spread over the new work. I chose not to use peel ply for this because of all the busy corners. This takes care of these items until further down the road when fitting them to the aft sections will require fianl shaping. For now they sit in the shed with the rudders.

 copyright 2010 The Coastal Passage